We Prevent Family Homelessness
Domestic violence is a leading cause of homelessness for women and children.
At LifeWire, we believe that no survivor should have to choose between staying in an abusive relationship and becoming homeless. That’s why we’ve invested your dollars in developing a wide range of services that are uniquely designed to keep survivors and their families off the streets and in safe and stable housing.
When a survivor comes to us in crisis, they often have nowhere else to turn. Many are either homeless or on the verge of homelessness.
- Through Hotel Vouchers, we pay for short stays in area hotels, offering an immediate crisis intervention option to survivors when local shelters are full.
- Through My Sister’s Home, we offer confidential emergency shelter and supportive services for families and individuals in lethal situations. My Sister’s Home is uniquely suited to accommodate families of all types, including families with teenage boys, transgender individuals and members of the LGBQ community, large families and men.
- Through My Friend’s Place, we provide confidential transitional housing and supportive services to survivors healing from both domestic violence and substance abuse.
Last year, 51% of survivors exited our Homelessness Services into permanent housing. Of those in emergency and transitional shelter, 75% moved into permanent housing.
housing stability services
We know that the most effective way to reduce homelessness is to prevent it from happening in the first place.
Using the Domestic Violence Housing First approach—developed through a partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence—we’ve designed and implemented innovative services that keep families from ever experiencing homelessness.
- Flexible funds pay for the things survivors identify they need (car repairs, security deposits, lock changes, etc.) to help them maintain or obtain housing.
- Rapid Rehousing delivers short-term rental assistance to support families as they transition into permanent, safe and stable housing.
- Rental Assistance provides survivors living in non-time-limited housing with financial assistance for rent payments.
- Through a partnership with the King County Housing Authority, we provide a limited number of families with a voucher that offers a permanent, non-time-limited subsidy for housing – allowing low-income families to never have to pay more than 30% of their income towards rent.
LifeWire is nationally recognized for our forward-thinking and cost-effective Homelessness and Housing Stability Services.
- 99 families became stably housed through our Housing Stability Services in 2016. A modest investment of just $1,300 per family helped these families obtain or maintain housing, and 96% have remained stably housed after six months.
- We turn away 26 households for every 1 we can serve in emergency housing. However, many of those families are served through our Housing Stability Services, thereby reducing our turn away rate to 10 – 1.
Learn more about how your investment makes a profound difference for each and every person in our community.