We Prevent Family Homelessness
Domestic violence is a leading cause of homelessness for women and children.
At LifeWire, we believe that no survivor should ever have to choose between staying in an abusive relationship or becoming homeless. That’s why we’ve invested your dollars in developing a wide range of programs and services that are uniquely designed to keep survivors and their families off the streets.
emergency and transitional housing
When a survivor comes to us in crisis, they often have nowhere else to turn. Many are either homeless or on the verge of homelessness.
- Through our Hotel-Motel Voucher Program, we are able to pay for short stays in area hotels or motels, offering an immediate crisis intervention option to survivors when local shelters are full.
- Our emergency shelter, My Sister’s Home, offers confidential emergency housing and supportive services for families and individuals in lethal situations. My Sister’s Home is uniquely suited to accommodate families of all types, including families with teenage boys, transgender individuals and members of the LGTBQ community and men.
- Our transitional housing shelter, My Friend’s Place, offers confidential transitional housing and supportive services to survivors healing from both domestic violence and substance abuse.
Last year, 51% of survivors exited our Housing Programs into permanent housing. Of those in emergency and transitional shelter, 75% moved into permanent housing.
domestic violence housing first
We know that the most effective way to reduce homelessness is to prevent it from happening in the first place.
Using the Domestic Violence Housing First approach—developed through a partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence—we designed innovative and forward-thinking programs that keep families from ever experiencing homelessness.
- Through our Housing Stability Program, we offer survivors flexible funds to pay for whatever they may need (car repairs, security deposits, lock changes, etc.) to help them retain or obtain housing.
- In partnership with the King County Housing Authority, we developed our Rapid Rehousing Program, which delivers short-term, flexible financial assistance to support families as they transition into permanent, safe and stable housing. More here →
- Our Rental Assistance Program provides survivors living in non-time-limited housing with financial assistance for rent payments.
LifeWire is nationally recognized for our innovative and cost-effective homelessness prevention programs.
- 99 families became stably housed through our Housing Stability Program in 2016. A modest investment of just $1,300 per family helped these families obtain or maintain housing, and 96% have remained stably housed after six months.
- We turn away 26 households for every 1 we can serve in emergency housing. However, many of those families are served through our Housing Stability Program, thereby reducing our turn away rate to 10 – 1.
For an in-depth look at the approach behind Domestic Violence Housing First, check out this video:
Learn more about how your investment makes a profound difference for each and every person in our community.