Is This Abuse?
There are many warning signs that can help you identify whether or not you are in an abusive relationship. Some may seem subtle while others may seem obvious.
It’s important to remember that if you are experiencing abuse, you deserve support to help you heal and have the life you want.
If you have questions about your relationship or any of the below experiences are familiar to you, there is help and support available. Call LifeWire’s 24-Hour Helpline at 425-746-1940 to speak with an advocate today.
- Worry that your relationship isn’t healthy?
- Feel afraid of your partner?
- Avoid certain topics out of fear of angering your partner?
- Feel that you can’t do anything right for your partner?
- Believe that you deserve to be hurt or mistreated?
- Feel emotionally numb or helpless?
- Dread going home or seeing your partner?
- Feel helpless?
- Get blamed for your partner’s anger or bad mood?
- Feel that your ability to make choices for what’s best for you and your children has decreased over time?
- Feel your social connections and support system diminishing?
Does your partner:
- Humiliate, criticize or yell at you?
- Criticize you for little things?
- Act excessively jealous or possessive?
- Control where you go or what you do?
- Call you crazy or make you question what you know is real?
- Keep you from seeing your friends or family?
- Limit your access to money, the phone or transportation?
- Constantly check up on you by incessantly calling or texting you or showing up in places where you are located unannounced?
- Hurt you or threaten to hurt or kill you?
- Threaten to take your children away or harm them?
- Threaten to commit suicide if you leave?
- Force you to have sex?
- Destroy your belongings or sentimental items?
- Threaten to “out” you at work or to family or friends?
- Blame you for their own insecurities?
- Threaten to use the law against you?
- Threaten to use your immigration status against you?
- Invalidate your feelings or make you feel crazy?
- Control how you spend money?
- Show physical aggression towards you or your children?
LifeWire is here to help. If you are concerned about your relationship and would like to speak with an advocate, call our 24-Hour Helpline at 425-746-1940 or send us a message on our Get Help page.