LifeWire’s Quarterly Newsletter
Welcome to the latest edition of our quarterly newsletter, where we share the latest updates and news from LifeWire. As an organization dedicated to ending domestic violence and supporting survivors, we are committed to providing you with the most relevant and informative content possible.
In this issue, we will be highlighting some of the work we have been doing over the past few months, including our advocacy efforts, counseling and support services, and events. You will also find stories from survivors who have found healing and hope through our programs and services.
At LifeWire, we believe that everyone has the right to live free from violence and abuse. We are grateful for your support in helping us achieve our mission and creating a safer and more equitable community for all.
Thank you for taking the time to read our newsletter, and we hope you find it informative and inspiring.
Here are some of our latest headlines:
- LifeWire Communications and Events Manager Plays Key Role in Passing the Female Genital Mutilation Bill at the Washington State LegislatureIn a significant victory for women’s rights and the global fight against gender-based violence in Washington State, the Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Bill sponsored by Senators Keiser, Dhingra, Cleveland, Nguyen, Saldaña, and Valdez was successfully passed and signed into law by Governor Jay Inslee on April 20, 2023. This accomplishment was largely due to the… Read more: LifeWire Communications and Events Manager Plays Key Role in Passing the Female Genital Mutilation Bill at the Washington State Legislature
- New Washington State Laws Relating to Reproductive Health Services and Gender-Affirming CareLifeWire welcomes and supports the recent enactment of a groundbreaking law by the Washington State Legislature in 2023, aimed at safeguarding the rights of people seeking reproductive health care services and gender-affirming treatment. The legislation comes as a response to the 2022 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, emphasizing the… Read more: New Washington State Laws Relating to Reproductive Health Services and Gender-Affirming Care
- Meet LifeWire’s Dynamic Leaders: Housing and Services DirectorsWe are excited to announce that we have successfully transitioned our Survivor Driven Services to a shared leadership structure between Olivia Montgomery, our new Services Director, and Alexis Harden, in a newly created position, Housing Director. By replicating our co-leadership model for our survivor-facing services, we have divided responsibilities between advocacy response and housing programs.… Read more: Meet LifeWire’s Dynamic Leaders: Housing and Services Directors
- Making a Difference VideoThe impact of domestic violence can be devastating, affecting not only the victim but also their loved ones and the community. In this powerful video, we hear the heartfelt story of Maddy Brockert, a survivor who tragically lost her mother to domestic violence. According to the Centers for Disease Control and the National Coalition Against… Read more: Making a Difference Video
- Survivor Maddy Brockert’s 12-Year Mission: Preventing Devastating Loss for Others.BELLEVUE, Washington – At the age of 16, Maddy Brockert was forced to face the harsh reality of how unforgiving and unrelenting domestic violence is. Maddy was living in fear for her mother, who was with a verbally abusive man who continuously berated her. Maddy’s mother stood by him, but eventually, he killed her. “My… Read more: Survivor Maddy Brockert’s 12-Year Mission: Preventing Devastating Loss for Others.
- Introducing Freddy VegaAfter intentional planning and collaboration between staff and the Board of Directors, LifeWire has created a full-time Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) manager role. In October 2022, LifeWire welcomed Freddy Vega to this leadership position! He is helping LifeWire to continue to build equitable space for internal staff in alignment with our core values and… Read more: Introducing Freddy Vega
- Hope Starts Here LunchSave the Date! Join us on Thursday, May 25, 2023, and find out more about the amazing work that LifeWire is doing in our community to prevent and end domestic violence. If you would like additional information, please contact Sukai Gaye, LifeWire Communications and Events Manager, at 425-229-5305 or email@example.com. LifeWire Gala & Auction Join us Saturday,… Read more: Hope Starts Here Lunch